When I was in elementary school I put a lot of worth into the idea "creativity."
I think that was the buzz word back then. If you were creative, you were going somewhere, you were doing something, and you were somebody.
Funny how all of those things sound like somebody somewhere doing something else.
I often wracked my brain trying to find ways to be creative because I worried that I was not. I worried that the fact that I was wracking my brain meant that I was not creative, because creative was a gift that people had and it exploded out of them like a woman in labor. Sometimes you wanted to avert your eyes from creativity, but you didn't deny it either.
I think now that I am married to creativity, I know even better how creativity is like labor.
Difficult, inevitable, draining. And amazing.
Jake is on fire about 95% of every day. If he's lucky the other 5% is extinguished sleeping. His brain is on constant overdrive output. Creating is very different than explaining, assembling, or producing. It's that intangible idea that becomes tangible, abstract to concrete (and even abstract concrete). It's more than a plan and involves difficult manipulation to bring about, and I think the key here is that it IS created. Plenty of people have good ideas. Jake actually makes them happen.
We've watched more than a few movies about musician, writer, or artist geniuses. They're often on the haunting side, but they leave me with the strong feeling that Jake is in that category. He has the same need to create and work and love/hate his talent. Luckily for me he has worked very hard to put his fires under control, the ones that lean those geniuses to destruction.
Even luckier for me that I get to witness creativity in action. Jake is doing art, now, here. That kind of makes him a big deal.
Happy Birthday Jake.